Trolleybus are designed with a well-known technology as it is has been circulating in several cities of the world for decades. It is an electric motor-tractioned vehicle whose single energy source is the aerial distribution network. Therefore, its greatest virtue is the emission of ZERO pollutants.
Trolleybus technology evolved across the years and became a highly reliable system with MKBF (Mean Kilometer Between Fails) indicators 5 times above the values for conventional buses.
The traction system developed by ELETRA uses modern Chopper technology based on IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) and SEMIX modules. Products use continuous current motors and from December 2007 we adopted the utilization of a continuous current motor system.
• Trolleybus is an electric traction-based vehicle that operates connected to an aerial distribution network.
• Electric motors have high indexes of energetic efficiency, reliability and durability.
• The whole management is electronic, ensuring perfect system synchrony.
• It is a vehicle without gear transmission, braking is electric-based, acceleration is controlled and the whole system is electronic managed.
• Electronic management greatly reduces operating costs, ensuring more agility in the maintenance and higher durability of components.
• Lifecycle of a trolley bus exceeds 20 years. In São Paulo some trolleybuses remain operational for up to 45 years.
• Trolleybus emits ZERO pollutants as it does not use combustion engines.
• In addition to contribute to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, they also improve the life quality in urban centers thanks to the non-emission of smoke (particulate material), which according to data disclosed by the World Bank, is the most hazardous pollutant for the health of a local population.
• Benefits from non-emission reflect in all habitants following the decrease of diseases such as heart, lungs, allergic, among others. Studies show that even stress can be caused by poor air quality.
Advantages for the passenger:
• Trolleybus is very comfortable for the user. Acceleration is electronically controlled and avoids constant bumps from conventional buses.
• Internal and external noises are low and reduced by up to 50% compared to conventional buses.
• The vehicle driver works with much more comfort, well-being and tranquility, which reflects in the interaction with passengers and when driving the vehicle.
• Passengers usually prefer electrical buses due to the comfort they provide, but more recently, researches are indicating that the environmental factor is making a difference in that choice.